1. Six Months Passport Validity Rule
International travelers know a valid passport is required for visiting foreign countries, but did you know that with only six months validity remaining on your passport, it is of limited use? Many popular visa and non-visa destinations require a passport with at least six months validity, without which airlines may not permit boarding and government officials can deny entry upon arrival.
2. Mobile Passport (https://mobilepassport.us/.) This new program, based on a smartphone app, is now in place at 27 airports and four cruise ports~Miami Cruise Port, West Palm Beach Cruise Port, San Juan Cruise Port, and Port Everglades Cruise Port. The app is sponsored by the U. S. Customs and Border Protection (Department of Homeland Security) and by Airport Councils International (an airport association).
Currently, the app works at the following airports as of the day of publication — Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Houston Hobby, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Newark, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh Durham, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, San José, San Juan, Seattle, Tampa, Washington Dulles and West Palm Beach. The updated list can be found on the website as well.
Upon landing, follow the Mobile Passport Control signs, set up your profile for future trips, and use a kiosk for your reentry into the US. It is easy, private, and free.
Profiles can be set up for entire families that contains everyone’s passport numbers and other necessary data. Answer some question about your trip — the same that are asked today. Features:
3. Make Copies Of Your Travel Documents
Before departure, travelers should make copies of their passport and visas in case of an emergency. Leave one copy with a friend or relative and take one with you. Keep on your phone and email it to yourself. It is highly recommended that you have at least one color photocopy of your passport ID page safely stored and separate from your actual passport. This will save you valuable time in case your passport is lost or stolen.
4. Notify your bank and credit card companies of your travel plans.
Many such companies now place freezes on accounts when they see suspicious activity like out-of-country use as a means to prevent fraud.
5. Clean out your wallet and before leaving.
Remove any receipts and expired cards, along with anything else you don’t absolutely need to carry while traveling.
6. Purchase travel insurance -
There are many benefits to travel insurance but one of the biggest is ensuring medical coverage while abroad. Hospital bills can add up quickly, so purchasing insurance is vital. Contact us for a quote.
Share the knowledge
Scooter Tessari, MCC, owns The Cruise Center, Inc. in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and operates the website Tasteful Journeys devoted to enrichment vacations with a culinary accent and featuring cruises, tours, and custom designed vacation packages.