Throughout history, Europe’s rivers have inspired some of the most legendary musical compositions, from Strauss’s Blue Danube waltz to Mozart’s Linz Symphony. This rich musical past is echoed in many aspects of AmaWaterways’ history as well. many of our ships were named for musical elements, compositions and instruments, including AmaCello, AmaCerto, AmaDante, AmaDolce, AmaSonata and AmaViola. Our Melodies of the Danube and Blue Danube Discovery itineraries – popular among guests – were also named with the Danube’s musical history in mind.
In 2023, to further highlight a strong connection with Europe’s melodic past, AmaWaterways will debut a brand-new classical music-themed itinerary, Celebration of Classical Music: The Danube. There are unique and exclusive experiences included on this customized journey, as well as destinations visited on other itineraries that touch upon musical elements, such as live performances and visits to composers’ hometowns and workplaces.
New in 2023! Celebration of Classical Music: The Danube
7-night cruise from Budapest to Vienna, 3 nights Kraków pre-cruise
CRUISE FROM : BUDAPEST TO VIENNA
From Strauss’s The Blue Danube to Mozart’s Linz Symphony, the Danube River has inspired countless musicians throughout the centuries. Their famous melodies are carried on the river’s current, which you’ll follow through some of the most spectacular capitals – Budapest, Hungary; Bratislava, Slovakia; and Vienna, Austria – where they lived, composed and performed, as well as to cities such as Salzburg, Austria, where Mozart was born. Along the way, you will be treated to a variety of live performances by renowned musicians that are sure to fill your heart with love for the Danube throughout the ages. Whether you are a musician yourself, a classical music connoisseur or simply a discerning traveler seeking a nuanced and immersive experience, let the Danube River be your melodious muse on this incredible classical music themed journey.
COUNTRIES: AUSTRIA, HUNGARY, SLOVAKIA
Unique Musical Excursions
• Visit the Liszt House and Museum on the Celebration of Classical Music: The Danube itinerary.
• During a walking tour of Linz, Austria on our Danube itineraries, see the Mozarthaus, where Mozart composed his Linz Symphony and Linz Sonata in only three days in 1783.
• Guests may attend an included classical concert while in Vienna when sailing the Celebration of Classical Music: The Danube or while on the remarkable Seven River Journeys. Enjoy a mixture of Vienna’s favorite and most famed composers, Mozart and Strauss. (Note: This excursion is available as an optional tour with an additional cost on other select Danube River cruises starting in 2023).
• On all Rhine cruises, guests can learn about robotic and self-playing musical instruments from centuries past during a tour of Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum in Rüdesheim, Germany.
• On the Melodies of the Danube and Romantic Danube itineraries, visit Utrecht’s joyous Museum Speelklok, where guests may experience the cheerful mix of music that radiates from all corners as musical clocks, orchestrions (self-playing orchestras) and traditional Dutch street organs that play throughout the day.
Another Itinerary with Musical Interests:
Flavors of Portugal & Spain
7-night cruise from Porto to Vega de Terrón, 3 nights Lisbon pre-cruise and 3 nights Madrid post-cruise
CRUISE FROM : PORTO TO VEGA DE TERRÓN
Two iconic cities, Lisbon and Madrid, provide the perfect start and end to a grand journey through Portugal and Spain. Cosmopolitan Lisbon offers a treasure trove of Old World architecture and a wealth of stories about its famed explorers; and then there is the seaside town of Sintra, one of the loveliest mountain villages in Portugal and a favorite summer residence of the Portuguese royal family for more than 500 years. Set sail in Porto, the beautiful “City of Bridges” and gateway to the Douro River Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with rambling vineyards and charming quintas, which cling to the steep sides of the river. Taste wines from these vineyards and discover the timeless traditions of Portuguese winemaking throughout your journey before visiting some of Spain’s glorious cities: the golden-hued city of Salamanca, the ancient walled city of Toledo, and cosmopolitan Madrid, renowned for its world-class museums, stately gardens and lively tapas bars.
COUNTRIES: PORTUGAL, SPAIN
Visit rambling vineyards and charming quintas along the Douro River and embrace the capturing melodies of Fado and Flamenco music.
Madrid, Spain 3 nights post-cruise to: Flavors of Portugal & Spain
Visit the Corral de la Moreria, called the “Cathedral of Flamenco Art,” and enjoy the fiery dance and rhythmic music of Flamenco during your optional land package in Madrid.
Did you know AmaWaterways offers customized tours for groups of select sizes? Their Operations Team loves to come up with new and engaging custom tours guaranteed to delight their guests. Be sure to ask us for more information for your group.
Appealing? Want to plan a river cruise for music enthusiasts in 2023? I would love to make this happen for you. Contact us now!
Share the knowledge
Scooter Tessari, MCC, owns The Cruise Center, Inc. in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and operates the website Tasteful Journeys devoted to enrichment vacations with a culinary accent and featuring cruises, tours, and custom designed vacation packages.